Re: Future direction of Debian XFree86 packaging (was: 4.3.0 progress / desire to help)

On Monday 19 May 2003 04:44 pm, Branden Robinson wrote:
> That's not literally true; Daniel Stone's packages have been available
> for weeks (months?) and have generally been received well.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I've done some experimenting with the
4.3.0-0ds4 release and I'll comment on that in another message.

> On the openness front, I believe I have already made a great stride
> forward.  Last month I set up a Subversion repository to house my
> development efforts on several packages, including XFree86, Xft, and
> Xrender.  http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/

Neat.  I have no experience with subversion yet but I'll figure it out and
play with what's there when I get some free time.

> This pretty much dovetails with the previous point.  Before developing a
> comprehensive strategy in this email message, I'd like to see how much
> response I get to my solicitation for co-developers in my Subversion
> repository.

Personally, my knowledge of the XFree86 codebase and more generally
the whole packaging process is currently lacking.  However, I am willing to
learn as time permits and hope to be more useful in the future.  At very
least I'll try to actively research bugs I discover with using xfree86 on my
own hardware.. and eventually clients machines (I'm trying to start a
consulting business of sorts.. :)

Chris Gebhardt
www.openserve.org