Re: problem in xterm 4.2.0 pre1v4

On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 08:22:49PM +0200, Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
> [Please CC to me.]
>
> Hi,
> I found a problem in xterm (I think) that shows incorrectly a line as
> shown in this image:
> http://eppesuigoccas.homedns.org/~giuseppe/xfree420bug/xterm-4.2.0-pre1v3.png

On my system it looks a lot stranger sometimes since it does not look
like a line or something like this. I have even seen strange color errors
like red dots somewhere in plain ascii text and so on. The problem shows
up *often* on my system.

I think I can reproduce the problem on my system with vim:

- enter one line of text
- press enter to get new line
- then press backspace to return to previous line

A refresh cleares the display corruption. Is this a problem of the
backing store?

[...]

> P.S. the problem was already present in pre1v3 but not in 4.1.0.1
> (woody). The XFconfig driver is "sis" and the chipset SiS 630.

I am using an Nvidia Geforce 4200 card and with the NV driver the
problem does not show up (not very helpful info I guess). If you
need further infos about my system just let me know. I am currently
running

ii  xserver-xfree8 4.2.1-0pre1v1  the XFree86 X server (static version

since it is not that big a download (only 3.5 MB compared to the 16 MB
of the regular version -- I think that's a build error, shouldn't the
static debug version be the large one?)

--

Well, yeah ... I suppose there's no point in getting greedy, is there?

    << Calvin & Hobbes >>