Re: xfree86 4.2.0-0pre1v2 (source,i386) available at the X Strike Force

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 00:32:06 +0200
Guido Guenther <agx@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> the changelog says:/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
>
>   * TODO: mips wants to build the server modules as shared objects
>   instead of
>     static ones; why?
>
> because the ELF loader doesn't work on mips yet(and shared object
> modules are better than no modules at all since it reduces linking
> time a lot when doing driver work). I have started to work on the ELF
> loader but there's quiet some work to do left. Feel free to disable
> modules at all on mips for the moment.
> Regards,
>  -- Guido
>
> P.S.: im not subscribed to debian-x so pleace cc: me on replies

I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to use the .debs for 4.2.0 on MIPS for
a while now. It can't find the modules pcidata and bitmap. Neither can
I! Actually, the whole "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules" directory does not
exist. Is this because of what you explain above? I think I'm getting
the "no modules at all" option, which isn't working out.

Is there an interm solution? I'd really like to get X working again!

Thanks!
Mike . Martin @ cogeco . ca