Re: Contrib to Website

On Thu, 2021-10-21 at 09:32 -0400, Kyle Lyon wrote:

> My name is Kyle.

Welcome to the Debian community Kyle :)

> I am looking to contribute to the Debian website and project.

There are lots of ways to contribute to Debian listed here:

https://www.debian.org/intro/help

> I know lots of web programming, which can make me useful to help the
> website.

The website is static HTML, that is produced from a language called WML
(which is basically HTML with some Perl mixed in). The WML is stored in
a git repository (called webwml) which is hosted on the Debian instance
(called Salsa) of the GitLab code hosting tool. You can submit changes
to the website through Salsa or by sending patches in bug reports.
There are many TODO items and open bug reports that can be useful to
find ways to contribute to the website. More details here:

https://www.debian.org/devel/website/

> As for packages, I can code C++.

The apt package manager is written in C++, I expect helping out with
that would be appreciated.

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Apt

If you know of software that is written in C++ and you want to have in
Debian, you could package it and propose it for inclusion in Debian.

https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers/

The how-can-i-help tool can help find packages on your system that need
some kind of assistance.

https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help

The Debtags site can help find packages implemented in C++:

https://debtags.debian.org/search/?wl=&q=implemented-in%3A%3Ac%2B%2B&qf=default

> No one can really vouch for me, because I don't know who to ask.
> I have used Debian Linux for the past 6 months, so I know how to use it
> well. Please consider letting me help the Debian Community!

In Debian and the wider Free Software and Open Source communities,
usually no permission is needed for a person to join the community
(apart from account approval for anti-spam purposes) and people and
their reputation do not need to be vouched for. Instead, others will
review and approve the work that you do and the changes you propose.
So people who have the interest and time just dive in and contribute.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise