Suggestion - Better targeting of the audience at front page

Dear Everyone,

Having mentioned once again the announcement about the alternative
website design, aiming, as far as I can see, more of uniform appearance,
I would like to suggest a little change to the content of front page for
the current or any alternative design.

ATM we have "Debian GNU/Linux provides more than a pure OS: it comes
with over 25000 packages, precompiled software bundled up in a nice
format for easy installation on your machine." which, upon click on
Packages, leads user into the wealth of software we manage.

Unfortunately, even list of sections and corresponding software,
is not imho convincing, as why Debian should become the OS of the
visitor's choice.

As some of you might know, we have a project
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends where Blend is described as "a
subset of Debian that is configured to support a particular target group
out-of-the-box. ", and that I think, is a very powerful machinery which
could be used to make Debian look appealing to any target audience.
Within  blends, there already exist an alternative listing of
packages with imho much better visual and informational appeal --
blend's task pages, e.g.

[Debian-Science] http://blends.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks
[Debian-Med] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/index
[Accessibility] http://blends.alioth.debian.org/accessibility/tasks/index
[Debian-Junior] http://blends.alioth.debian.org/junior/tasks
and others [Blends] http://blends.alioth.debian.org

So, why not to make the face page, more visitor-attractive in terms of
the content? The simplest one could be changing that sentence to
something like

 Debian GNU/Linux provides more than a pure OS: it comes with thousands
 of ready to be installed packages[LINK].  Debian is as a great OS for
 Juniors [Debian-Junior] as for the scientists [Debian-Science].
 Debian has being used in Medicine [Debian-Med] and to help
 people with disabilities [Accessibility].  But there is even more of
 Debian -- see other "blends" [Blends], "Ports" [Ports page], and
 packages [LINK].

Most of the blends have icons, which could be used to spice up the wide
Debian logo at http://www.deb.at/ and then used with image map to direct
to a particular blend.

Since I am not subscribed to -www or -blends, I could have missed
already existing discussion about the same or similar idea.  Then just
count my email as "+1" for it ;)

P.S. I am BCCing (to avoid cross-posting) also
debian-blends@lists.debian.org , lets see if it gets there ;)

--
                                  .-.
                   Linux User    ^^-^^    [175555]