Re: Vendors Page

Richard Atterer wrote:
> One thing I've been thinking about is the set of offered architectures.
> IMHO it would be enough not to list each arch, but only to distinguish the
> cases "PC" (i386 and possibly amd64), "some" (some more arches, but not
> all; typically powerpc) and "all".
Hmmm, do you think such classifications would be as useful to users?
The architectures list is definitely too long, but I'd feel bad making
users with a specific "other" arch in mind clicking through several
vendors to find media.  I really can't see any way to cut the size down
without making the list harder to use/understand.

> Furthermore, the "title" attribute could be used. For example, just enter
> "no" in one table cell, but add the annotation title="Vendor does not allow
> dontations to the Debian project" (or whatever).
I should add these tomorrow.

> What is the new format?
The new format should look something like this:
<country code="ar" name="<ARc>">
<vendor name="AGNUS"
        url="http://www.agnus.com.ar/";
        deburl="http://www.agnus.com.ar/site/agnus/debian/";
        contribution="no"
        cd="yes"
        dvd="no"
        architectures="" <- Not completely sure about this yet
        ship="no"
        email="debian@agnus.com.ar" />
</country>
I choose to use all attributes because a <vendor> is a single
"unit"/"entity," as I see it.

> BTW, don't convert the entire list manually!
I've written a Perl script to do this- the one manual edit was the
openIdeas entry, contained <ship To some areas> instead of <ship some>.
 The script outputs the vendors in alphabetical order by country (also
in alphabetical order) now, which gives a different order than the
current page.

Since gluck (cvs.debian.org) appears to be down at the moment, I'll just
post links to the entire changed files (and the script):

debian.css         CSS
parsevendors.pl    Script to extract data from vendors.CD.old
vendors.CD         Formatted output of parsevendors.pl
vendors.CD.old     Old vendors.CD
vendors.CD.def     vendors.CD.def for changed format
in http://debian.riczho.dyndns.org/test/

Thanks,
Ricky