Re: Website Copyright Licensing project

On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 11:25:25AM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> For all contributors to the website, we require at least one of the
> following license statements:
>
> To achieve this, I (and hopefully a team of volunteers) will first
> attempt to contact all current committers to the website and get a GPG
> signed e-mail from them aggreeing to at least one of these licenses
> for their contributions to the website. [I'll draft a form e-mail to
> send out to contributors and send it here before starting, assuming
> that everyone seems to be ok with the plan.]

Even if you get a GPG signed mail you are not able to trust the sender
if the key isn't signed by other people you really trust. I lost my
private key many years ago and I did not need it the last years.

> We'll commit these contribution emails to
> webwml/contributors/license_<accountname> and
> webwml/contributors/license_supporter_<name/email> for authors who are
> not committers but own copyright of stuff in the website. [This
> location/style may be suboptimal; better suggestions appreciated.]

Why not just add a file with a list of people who support a special
license and let each people add itself via CVS? The CVS log whould
confirm that the committer is indeed the right person. (If you don't
trust the CVS log (because a untrusted person could commit under a
different account, the whole signing stuff would be useless.)

Jens