Re: Doubts and Ideas

On 05/29/2007 08:05 PM, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 06:20:40PM -0300, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) wrote:
>> 	I would like to know if we have a Web Policy or if we
>> should have one, some small lines, nothing complicate, just to
>> say:
>
> There's no Policy AFAIK, just the documentation at
> www.debian.org/devel/website/

	Ok. Just to be sure. :-)

>>  - Our procedure for out-of-date pages is this, the log of removed
>>    pages is here.
>
> That would be nice, actually, an automatic mechanism that would mail the l10n
> mailings everytime a batch of pages are removed could prompt translation
> teams into action.

	We have pages that reports what is out of date and AFAIK
when a page is 6 months out-of-date they are removed, if I'm not
wrong, peterk is taking care of this, he also has a report page
where it shows the stats.

>>  - We have a translation robot that is working this way
>
> No, there's none specific for the web page.

	Ok. But I know there is infrastructure for that. :)

>> About "Who's using Debian" and CD Vendors
>>
>> 	It would be possible to have a very minimal system to take
>> care of those submissions, I think it would help a lot people doing
>> this job to keep track of what was already included and what still
>> needs to be done, the system could even send e-mails to -www-cvs.
>
> Having an automatic tool would certainly speed up the time into getting this
> information into the site. There is already a template, so enforcing it would
> be simple.
>
>> 	Could it be written in PHP/Perl using a sqlite database?
>
> Yes, why not. It would not be able to be hosted at www.debian.org, but we
> could point people to an application at say, submissions.debian.net or
> submit.debian.org, which would be a standalone server (no mirrors) and take
> where dynamic applications could be hosted.

	Nice. I would like to also hear from the people more
involved in CDs and "Who's using Debian" submission. If they
think it could be helpful. ;)

>> 	I really think that we need to first change a couple of
>> core structures in the (X)HTML code and CSS and after we can
>> work on the logical and structural areas of the website. IMHO,
>> it is a long term goal for at least 6 months of improving the
>> underlayer until we can easier change our web face. :-)
>
> I think we should first fix #238245 and #388141 (and for those
> who push to the use of the wiki, #385797 too)

	Ok. That's too. But I was speaking about the changes
that we are able to do on the structure of our website right
now (lower case tags, close them, change to XHTML, prepare
to CSS Aural). That's something we definetely can do without
much trouble. I'm going to wait a little bit more and if
nobody complaing about this, I will start preparing patches
so we can discuss and commit them. We should also check the
automated scripts adding news, security and other info to
made them compatible with our format (probably we should aim
at XHTML).

	I'm would like to help with the License problems, I
will start collecting the permissions from the Brazilian
Portuguese Translators, but I think we should find a license
first and I know this is a delicated subject. I'm in favor
to also use a well established license, on debian-legal
GPL and MIT are usually the recommended ones.

	My question would be: should we vote for the desired
license via GR and start collecting permission from authors
and contributors and prepare ourselves to rewrite/remove
everything that is not licensed or permitted?

	Or should we start contacting authors and asking them
to relicense their contributions under DFSG-compatible licenses
(given them options of compatible licenses between each other?).

	And finally, when a new account is given, should we
ask people to gpg-sign something in agreement to provide only
DFSG-free content under the license we choosed?

> Regards
> Javier

	Kind regards,

- --