Re: Language problem

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:

No, I didn't mean that the website should use cookies, just that the browser should acknowledge the user answer and should never show that dialog again for the same font. That is, if you have already told your browser you don't want to see the font you shouldn't be asked everytime you visit a page that uses them.

I've just tested this again with a default install of Mozilla 1.7.3 on another PC. I does not ask again during the same session. But even closing and restarting Mozilla brings back the problem.
I've also just found out it asks to install both Korean and Japanese.
And if I click the 'How to set the default document language' link, going to a English page, it wants to download two Chinese fonts.

Maybe you mean the 'remember this input for this server' (something like that) option. But that only works for forms, where you need to fill in something.

You might have a point in that those links might only be really necessary in the (default) english webpages and others could just have a pointer to the english version instead of all languages.

Indeed, I hope you can reach consensus on that :)
This would make it even more logical for webmasters to link to the home page with their language, which then solves the problem (but does not for the English home page).

Maybe this is a solution:
Any user will have some fonts missing (question marks in the text). This is what I see: http://www.ddh.nl/debian-languages.gif
So that's always a compromise.
Why not use an image with all languages correctly spelled, linking to a 'Choose your language' page? Or even a image map, with all languages linking to their own page, just like how it works now?
(Image max. 767 pix wide for 800 screens).
Bit of work, saves a lot of trouble :)

All the best,
Boyd Noorda