Re: "Debian Installer" in devel/debian-installer/index.wml

Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> During checking Japanese translation of
> devel/debian-installer/index.wml, I noticed one point.
>
> "Debian-Installer" is (according to my understanding) a name
> (proper noun) of a specific installer system (which will be
> a successor or "boot-floppies"), not just a common noun which
> can be substituted by "installer of Debian".
>
> However, Debian-Installer is expressed in various ways, like
> "Debian Installer" and so on.  Because of this, translators
> have difficulty distinguishing Debian installer as a common
> noun and Debian-Installer as a proper noun.  (Usage of capital
> letter cannot always be a test, because many software have
> lowercase names, like "boot-floppies".)
>
> Could someone clarify the distinction?

Debian-Installer, Debian Installer, and debian-installer are proper
nouns all representing the specific installation system. Debian
installer is a common noun. d-i is a common abbreviation for the proper
noun.

I would rather limit it to just Debian-Installer on user documentation,
and possibly debian-installer and/or d-i on some developer oriented
documentation. I've tried to clean up the website some along these
lines.

--
see shy jo