Re: Debian-based distros in a new page?

	Ok. First attempt. How about the following page (attached)
	which should be placed under /misc/ ?
	If everyone agrees I will commit it to the CVS sources...

	Regards

	Javi

--
#use wml::debian::template title="Debian-based distributions"

<H2><a name="basedon">GNU/Linux releases based upon Debian</a></H2>

might want to take a look at these distributions <em>besides</em> the
official Debian releases for some reasons (better localization support
for their language, specific hardware support, etc.)

new distributions based on Debian, however, it asks this distributions
to, in the spirit of Debian's <a href="$(HOME)/social_contract">social
contract</a>, contribute their work to the main distribution. So,
ultimately, all users can make use of such improvements.

<UL>
  <LI><a href="#debian-jp">Debian JP</A>

# <LI>Eagle Linux m68k,
# <url "http://www.eagle-cp.com/www/m68k.html";> [in German]

  <LI>PingOO, <url "http://www.linuxedu.org/";>

  <LI>Linux-YeS, <url "http://eugene.mplik.ru/doc/lys/";>

  <LI>M.N.I.S. Linux, <url "http://www.mnis.fr/";>

  <LI>Linux Router Project, <url "http://www.linuxrouter.org/";>

  <LI>Floppix, <url "http://floppix.ccai.com/";>

  <LI>Dlite, <url "http://opensrc.org/dlite/dlite.html";>

  <LI>Libranet, <url "http://www.libranet.com/";>

  <LI>Progeny Linux, <url "http://www.progeny.com/";>

  <LI>Embedded Debian, <url "http://www.emdebian.org/";>

  <LI><a href="#demolinux">DemoLinux</a>

  <li>KNOPPIX, <url "http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/";>

  <LI><a href="#storm">Stormix Technologies' Storm Linux</A>.

  <LI><a href="#corel">Corel Linux</a>

</UL>

<H2 name="debian-jp">Debian JP</A>

Debian-based distribution oriented towards japanese
end-users. Improvements include internationalization of the Debian
distribution, all changes being later contributed to the main project.
The project started distributing <a
href="$(HOME)/News/1998/19980828">a set of packages</a> for the
<em>Hamm</em> distribution and now provides <a
href="http://www.debian.or.jp/CDROM.html";>Cdroms</a> based on the
official releases.

JP</a> pages (mostly in Japanese).

<H2><a name="storm">Storm Linux</a></H2>

href="$(HOME)&News/weekly/1999/27/">appeared on 1999</a> (the first
alpha was released on <a
href="http://old.lwn.net/1999/0708/a/storm.html";>july</a>). Stormix,
however, <a
href="http://old.lwn.net/2001/features/Timeline/?month=jan";>filed for
bankrupcy in the year 2001</a> (some more information about this on <a
href="http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/01/27/1451236&mode=nocomment";>newsforge</a>). Stormix
received some good reviews (such as <a
href="http://linuxpower.org/display.php?id=162";>this one</A> and <a
href="http://www.gnulinux.com/articles/stormix.shtml";>this one</A>)
but the distribution is no longer available.

<url "http://www.stormix.com/";> (no longer available)

<H2><a name="corel">Corel Linux</a></H2>

WordPerfect and other Corel software. Corel chose Debian because
<em>(..) it offers an excellent fit with the company's existing
customer base and Linux mission. Debian has a solid charter, a strong
worldwide developer base and a thorough testing period</em> as
described in its <a
href="http://www.corel.com/news/1999/may/may_1999_faqs.htm";>FAQ</a>.
It was released on <a href="$(HOME)/News/weekly/1999/44/">november
1999</a>, after a few public <a
href="http://old.lwn.net/1999/features/CorelLinux/";>betas</a> which
did open some discussion due to the fact that Corel had elected KDE
for it's GUI and KDE license issues where not yet solved within
Debian. Three different editions were published from 1999 to the end
of the year 2000. However, in the year 2001 it <a
href="http://www3.corel.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+FTContentServer?pagename=Corel/PressRelease/Details&id=ZZZZ8DJU78T";>announced</a>
it's intention to spin-off the Linux distribution.

User's wishing to upgrade to newer Debian releases can use, as a guideline,
the <a href="$(HOME)/News/weekly/2000/25/mail#2">Corel to Debian
micro-howto</A> published in Debian support mailing lists.

Xandros Corporation <url "http://www.xandros.net";> (see the <a
href="http://www3.corel.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+FTContentServer?pagename=Corel/PressRelease/Details&id=ZZZZ8DJU86H";>press
release</a>), a company which includes some of the developers and
architects of the original Corel Linux. The Xandros Desktop operating
system will still be based on Debian (as described in its <a
href="www.xandros.net/faq">FAQ</A>).

<h2><a name="demolinux">Demolinux</A>

installation, disk partitioning and any other issues since it works
out of a bootable CD-ROM. Demolinux includes the GNOME and KDE
environments, Enlightenment, StarOffice, lots of games, development
tools, and a full load of utilities. It is probably the best
distribution to use if you want to just give Linux a try and see how
it works and what can it offer you.

href="http://www.demolinux.org/en/versions/version-debian.html";>Debian-based</A>
(yes, the 3.0 version is <a
href="http://www.demolinux.org/en/versions/liste-simple-deb.3.0";>also</a>