[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Bug#80234: marked as done (www.debian.org: Cannot see debian.org, probably because of rejected ident requests (firewall))



Your message dated Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:14:04 +1100
with message-id <20001222101404.A6162@eye-net.com.au>
and subject line Bug#80234: www.debian.org: Cannot see debian.org, probably because of rejected ident requests (firewall)
has caused the attached Bug report to be marked as done.

This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
Bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.

(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what I am
talking about this indicates a serious mail system misconfiguration
somewhere.  Please contact me immediately.)

Darren Benham
(administrator, Debian Bugs database)

--------------------------------------
Received: (at submit) by bugs.debian.org; 21 Dec 2000 20:58:41 +0000
>From egagnon@j-meg.com Thu Dec 21 14:58:41 2000
Return-path: <egagnon@j-meg.com>
Received: from www.j-meg.com [216.208.77.253] 
	by master.debian.org with esmtp (Exim 3.12 1 (Debian))
	id 149CnO-0000Ar-00; Thu, 21 Dec 2000 14:58:38 -0600
Received: from egagnon by www.j-meg.com with local (Exim 3.20 #1 (Debian))
	id 149CnI-00034Y-00; Thu, 21 Dec 2000 15:58:32 -0500
From:  <egagnon@j-meg.com>
Subject: www.debian.org: Cannot see debian.org, probably because of rejected ident requests (firewall)
To: submit@bugs.debian.org
X-Mailer: bug 3.3.7
Message-Id: <E149CnI-00034Y-00@www.j-meg.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 15:58:32 -0500
Delivered-To: submit@bugs.debian.org

Package: www.debian.org
Version: 20001221
Severity: critical

Hi!

I cannot see www.debian.org (nor www.*.debian.org) from www.j-meg.com (216.208.77.253).

I had, one week ago, installed a firewall that blocked (REJECT) requests to the port 113 of www.j-meg.com.  This is something I shouldn't have done, it seems, because now www.debian.org's firewall seems to stop all my http requests!  So, I opened back my ident (113) port; but it seems to be too late.  www.debian.org now rejects all my packets, including "ping" requests!

Please fix this.

Thanks.

Etienne M. Gagnon
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Etienne M. Gagnon, M.Sc.                     e-mail: egagnon@j-meg.com
Author of SableCC:                             http://www.sablecc.org/
and SableVM:                                   http://www.sablevm.org/

-- System Information
Debian Release: woody
Kernel Version: Linux www 2.2.17 #1 Thu Dec 21 13:40:02 EST 2000 i586 unknown


---------------------------------------
Received: (at 80234-done) by bugs.debian.org; 21 Dec 2000 23:14:11 +0000
>From csmall@eye-net.com.au Thu Dec 21 17:14:11 2000
Return-path: <csmall@eye-net.com.au>
Received: from gonzo.eye-net.com.au [203.41.228.17] 
	by master.debian.org with esmtp (Exim 3.12 1 (Debian))
	id 149EuX-00026j-00; Thu, 21 Dec 2000 17:14:10 -0600
Received: by gonzo.eye-net.com.au (Postfix, from userid 1000)
	id 49C38C5E1; Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:14:04 +1100 (EST)
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:14:04 +1100
To: egagnon@j-meg.com, 80234-done@bugs.debian.org,
	80235-done@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#80234: www.debian.org: Cannot see debian.org, probably because of rejected ident requests (firewall)
Message-ID: <20001222101404.A6162@eye-net.com.au>
References: <E149CnI-00034Y-00@www.j-meg.com>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Disposition: inline
User-Agent: Mutt/1.2.5i
In-Reply-To: <E149CnI-00034Y-00@www.j-meg.com>; from egagnon@j-meg.com on Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 03:58:32PM -0500
From: csmall@eye-net.com.au (Craig Small)
Delivered-To: 80234-done@bugs.debian.org

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 03:58:32PM -0500, egagnon@j-meg.com wrote:
> Severity: critical
Hmm

> I cannot see www.debian.org (nor www.*.debian.org) from www.j-meg.com (216.208.77.253).
> 
> I had, one week ago, installed a firewall that blocked (REJECT) requests to the port 113 of www.j-meg.com.  This is something I shouldn't have done, it seems, because now www.debian.org's firewall seems to stop all my http requests!  So, I opened back my ident (113) port; but it seems to be too late.  www.debian.org now rejects all my packets, including "ping" requests!

Now let's have a look at this. You fiddled with your firewall and then
suddenly stuff stops working. I'd say the problem is on your end.

The reason why I am so confident it is a local problem is because I only
have a 2G hard drive.  If the Debian website was down for this long it
would surely filled up the drive with emails by now and no-one else has 
reported a problem.

Also www.*.debian.org is many (20 I think) different machines around the
world with different system administrators, policies firewalls etc.
The chances of all of them blocking you is remote.

As you can see, we have on one side the possibility of 20 different
systems around the world with different administrators all filtering the
same single or very small number of addresses.  Alternatively there is a
problem with a single device.  My guess is scenario 2.

BTW, don't report multiple bugs, it just annoys people.
Closing bugs.

  - Craig
-- 
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>
MIEEE <csmall@ieee.org>                 Debian developer <csmall@debian.org>



Reply to: