Re: new developer's corner

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Joey Hess wrote:

> Given how long it's been since thatxearth file was made, and how little data
> is in it anyway, I wonder if the second script is needed at all? (I for one
> have moved 3 times since I provided my coordinates.)

Okay, everything is prepared now. I have written the LDAP -> xearth
script, it is installed on faure (ud-xearth). The web page
(https://db.debian.org/) now has fields for editing one's coordinates.

Here is the man page for the ud-info program that goes into detail about
all the fields, their meaning and in particular discusses how to locate
ones position and the format that is required.

Jason

ud-info(1)					     ud-info(1)

NAME
       ud-info - Command line LDAP user record manipulator

SYNOPSIS
       ud-info [options]

DESCRIPTION
       ud-info	is the command-line tool for end users to manipu-
       late their own database	information  and  to  view  other
       users  information.  It also provides root functions which
       when combined with sufficient  LDAP  privilages	allow  an
       administrator to completely manipulate a users record.

       The defined fields are:

       o      cn - Common (first) name. [root]

       o      mn - Middle name or initial. [root]

       o      sn - Surname (last name). [root]

       o      cn  -  ISO  3166 country code, see /usr/share/zone-
	      info/iso3166.tab Should be upper case.

       o      ircnick - IRC nickname.

       o      l - City name, state/province. The part of a  mail-
	      ing  address  that is not the street address. e.g.:
	      Dallas, Texas

       o      postalcode - Postal Code or ZIP Code

       o      postaladdress - Complete mailing address	including
	      postal codes and country designations. Newlines are
	      seperated by a $ character. The address  should  be
	      formed exactly as it would appear on a parcel.

       o      latitude/longitude - The physical latitude and lon-
	      gitude. This information is typically used to  gen-
	      erate  an	xearth	marker file.  See the discussion
	      below on position formats.

       o      facsimiletelephonenumber - FAX phone number, do not
	      forget to specify a country code [North Armerica is
	      +1].

       o      telephonenumber - Voice phone number.

       o      loginshell - Full path to the prefered  Unix  login
	      shell. e.g. /bin/bash

       o      emailforward - Destination email address.

userdir-ldap		17 Sep 1999				1

ud-info(1)					     ud-info(1)

       o      userpassword  -  Encrypted version of the password.
	      [root]

       o      supplementarygid - A list of group names	that  the
	      user  belongs.  This field emulates the functional-
	      ity of the traditional Unix group file. [root]

       o      onvacation - A message indicating that the user  is
	      on  vacation.  The  time	of departure and expected
	      return date should be included as well as any  spe-
	      cial instructions.

       o      comment - Administrative comment about the account.
	      [root]

       o      labeledurl - User's web site.

       When prompted for a password it is  possible  to	enter	a
       blank  password	and access the database anonymously. This
       is useful to check PGP key fingerprints, for instance.

SECURITY AND PRIVACY
       Three levels of information security are provided  by  the
       database.  The first is completely public information that
       anyone can see either by issuing an LDAP query or by  vis-
       iting  the  web	site. The next level is "maintainer-only"
       information that requires authentication to the	directory
       before  it  can be accessed. The final level is admin-only
       or user-only information; this  information  can	only  be
       viewed by the user or an administrator.

       Maintainer-only	information  includes	precise	location
       information [postalcode, postal address,	lat/long]  tele-
       phone numbers, and the vacation message.

       Admin-only/maintainer-only information includes email for-
       warding and the encrypted password. Note that  email  for-
       warding	is necessarily publicly viewable from accounts on
       the actual machines.

LAT/LONG POSITION
       There are  three	possible  formats  for	giving	position
       information  and	several  online  sites	that can give an
       accurate position fix based on mailing address.

       Decimal Degrees
	      The format is +-DDD.DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.  This  is  the
	      format programs like xearth use and the format that
	      many positioning web sites use.  However	typically
	      the precision is limited to 4 or 5 decimals.

userdir-ldap		17 Sep 1999				2

ud-info(1)					     ud-info(1)

       Degrees Minutes (DGM)
	      The  format  is +-DDDMM.MMMMMMMMMMMMM. It is not an
	      arithmetic type, but a packed representation of two
	      seperate units, degrees and minutes. This output is
	      common from some types of hand held GPS  units  and
	      from NMEA format GPS messages.

       Degrees Minutes Seconds (DGMS)
	      The  format  is +-DDDMMSS.SSSSSSSSSSS. Like DGM, it
	      is not an arithmetic type but a packed  representa-
	      tion  of	three seperate units, degrees minutes and
	      seconds. This output is typically derived from  web
	      sites  that  give	3  values for each position. For
	      instance 34:50:12.24523 North might be the position
	      given, in DGMS it would be +0345012.24523.

       For  Latitude  +	is North, for Longitude + is East. It is
       important to specify enough leading zeros to dis-ambiguate
       the  format  that  is  being used if your position is less
       than 2 degrees from a zero point.

       So locations to find positioning information are:

       o      Good  starting  point  -	http://www.ckdhr.com/dns-
	      loc/finding.html

       o      AirNav  -	GPS  locations	for  airports around the
	      world http://www.airnav.com/

       o      GeoCode	-    US    index     by     ZIP     Code
	      http://www.geocode.com/eagle.html-ssi

       o      Map  Blast!  Canadian,  US and some European maps -
	      http://www.mapblast.com/

       o      Austrailian      Database	http://www.environ-
	      ment.gov.au/database/MAN200R.html

       o      GNU Timezone database, organized partially by coun-
	      try /usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab

       Remember that we	are  after  reasonable	coordinates  for
       drawing	an  xearth  graph  and looking for people to sign
       keys, not for coordinates accurate enough to land an  ICBM
       on your doorstop!

Editing Supplemental GIDs
       When  the root function is activated then the supplemental
       GIDs can be manipulated as a list of items. It is possible
       to  add	and  remove  items  from the list by name. Proper
       prompts are given.

userdir-ldap		17 Sep 1999				3

ud-info(1)					     ud-info(1)

OPTIONS
       -a     Set the authentication user. This is the user whose
	      authority	is  used  when accessing the LDAP direc-
	      tory. The default is to use the current system user
	      name.

       -u     Select   the   user   whose  fields  will	be  dis-
	      played/edited. The default is to	use  the  current
	      system user name.

       -c     Set  both	the  authentication  user and the target
	      user. This option is useful if the login name  does
	      not match the user who is operating the program.

       -r     Enable root functions. This enables more options to
	      allow changing any entry	in  the	directory.  This
	      function	only  has  meaning  if the authentication
	      user has the  necessary  permissions  at	the  LDAP
	      server.

       -n     No  actions. Anonymously bind and show the informa-
	      tion for the user and then exit.

FILES
       o      /etc/userdir-ldap/userdir-ldap.conf   Configuration
	      variables to select what server and what base DN to
	      use.

AUTHOR
       userdir-ldap    was    written	by    Jason	Gunthorpe
       <jgg@debian.org>.

userdir-ldap		17 Sep 1999				4