self-aware security urls

Any more thoughts on making the security urls track updates in the ftp site?
I'm looking at a lot of stuff that needs to be updated right now, and I'd
prefer to just update once to a "Right Way" than to make a short-term patch.
(Unless the Right Way looks like it might be delayed. :) I'm thinking about
making this a priority this weekend. What I have in mind is to pull down the
Packages from a predefined list of locations (dists/stable, proposed-updates,
etc.) and find the best match. If there's something horribly wrong with this
plan, I'm open to suggestion. Once this is done, it should be possible to post
the url as soon as the upload is announced, with assurance that the package
will be tracked as it moves around or is updated further.

Mike Stone