Re: Problems with localized Pages

On Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 07:27:28PM -0800, Guy Maor wrote:
> Marko Schulz <4mschulz@swt1.informatik.uni-hamburg.de> writes:
>
> > - I think the Security-page /security/index.html should only be
> >   localized if the translators can update it often.
>
> Could there be some automatic solution?  For example contact
> negotiation is turned off (and English is presented) when the English
> page is newer?  The note at the bottom would then direct the user to
> other languages with the caveat that they they are out of date.

The web pages are designed to allow for a certain amount of version
skew. This is necessary for a volunteer organization. Some parts, like
the security pages, need to be more particular. In this case, a single
page needs to contain all the translations so that any changes are
seen by all the various languages simultaneously.

I haven't had a chance to look at how the security pages were set up, but
most parts of the security pages can be set up for automatic translation,
similar to how the template files are done. The textual parts of the page,
giving a description of the problem, would be written in English with the
various translations initially using the english text. The bulk of the page,
consists of standard objects for which translations are already defined.
When a translation updates a page, it replaces the English text in the
slice(*) for that language to the translated text.

I am willing to help make any necessary changes to the security pages
to set this up. Just ask.

Jay Treacy

(*) Slices are a means of selecting from a set of objects. This is best
shown with an example. The word 'Home' used in the menubar on the web pages
is defined as follows:

<define-tag home whitespace=delete>
        [EN:Home:]
        [HR:Poèetak:]
        [FR:Accueil:]
        [DE:Home:]
        [IT:Home:]
        [JA:¥Û¡¼¥à:]
        [PL:Strona&nbsp;G³ówna:]
        [ES:P&aacute;gina principal:]
</define-tag>
Wherever the word 'Home' is needed, you simply put '<home>' and wml
automatically selects the proper phrase when creating the .html file.