Re: Debian Women lunch @ DebConf 18

I haven't been able to attend DebConf 18 this year, so I couldn't
attend Debian Women lunch at DebConf 18. Thus, I don't have any first
hand information about what was spoken there, apart from Ulrike's
email. I wanted to comment something, though, about my personal view
on something that Holger commented in his email:

>> There was a proposal to merge the debian-women mailing list with the
>> future debian-diversity list. Several reasons for this proposal:
> [...]
>> - it nowadays seems too restrictive to reduce the list to people who
>>   identify as women instead [...]
>
> while I agree with this reasoning I'd like to point out that this list
> when it was started was open to all, as was the Debian women project
> when it was started 13-14 years ago at DebConf4+5.

I have always understood the Debian Women project as project inside
Debian that works to promote the involvement of more women in its
development. Thus, in my opinion, it still be open to everyone that
wants to work along these lines. While I think that the original text
from Ulrike can be perfectly understood in that sense (and while
making it also clear that I personally agree with the proposal), I
think that maybe it might be more clear if, instead of::

"""
 it nowadays seems too restrictive to reduce the list to people who
  identify as women instead of opening it up to a diversity of genders
  (female, nonbinary, queer, genderfluid, gender*) and have a more
  intersectional approach to underrepresented groups.
"""

it would be read as:

"""
 it nowadays seems too restrictive to reduce the list to just people who
 want to promote the involvement of more people who identify as women
 in the development of Debian, instead of opening it up to working towards
 the involvement of more people who might identify with a diversity of genders
 (female, nonbinary, queer, genderfluid, gender*) and have a more intersectional
 approach to underrepresented groups.
"""

Please, do not take this email in the wrong sense. I am not picky
about the language used and I am perfectly okay with the text in the
original email. I also don't want to complicate things in the name of
linguistic or political correctness or anything like that. I just
wanted to point out that, from the overall context of Debian, Debian
Women and this mailing list, the original text did not have to be
understood as a rejection of males. At least that's my point of view,
of course. Others might think differently.

Hugs,
Miry