Re: [Soc-coordination] Outreachy / OPW starts 22 September?

On 21/09/15 17:54, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 04:27:47PM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>>

>> The next Outreachy / OPW starts 22 September:
>>
>> https://wiki.gnome.org/Outreachy
>>
>> Is there any decision about Debian participation?
>>
>> The program admins asked to be contacted by organizations before
>> 21 September:
>> https://wiki.gnome.org/Outreachy/Admin/InfoForOrgs#Action
>>
>> As with previous rounds of GSoC, OPW and Outreachy, I'm
>> potentially able to mentor somebody in any of the domains I work
>> with and also be involved in some of the promotion and selection
>> process.
>
> Any news?

I've heard nothing

>> From the minutes of the DebConf women meeting, I understand
>> people had some concerns about the possibility that programs like
>> this may deter and demotivate unsuccessful candidates.
>> Personally, I believe this can be mitigated by getting people
>> involved earlier and trying to ensure that Outreachy is not their
>> only goal or relationship with Debian, this may also help
>> maximize the selection of candidates who stick around after these
>> programs or even if they are not selected the first time around.
>
> I think this is what we should do anyway. First, I believe that it
> should indeed increase the chances of people sticking around after
> the program is done.
>
> Second, it will _also_ makes our work as mentors easier when
> selecting participants. My personal experience in the last two gsoc
> editions is that I got *a lot* of participant submissions, and it
> was quite hard to select, both in terms of effort reviewing their
> applications and sample contributions, and in terms of not being
> confortable with ranking people.
>
> If we require(invite?) participants to already be contributing to
> the project for a few months before submission, even if for very
> few hours per week, then instead of having projects ideas and "out
> of the blue" submissions, we can work together with them to write
> the program project proposals tailored to their interests after
> knowing a bit more about the work that needs to be done, and
> aligned with the existing work of the mentors.

Actually, this is one of the benefits of the winter Outreachy, even if
Debian only funds one place.

I tell the applicants up front that the Outreachy funding is very
limited and that we will evaluate them now but I am also looking at
them as candidates for the following GSoC, where there are more places.

This is better for Debian (because there will be more potentially
qualified GSoC applicants) and it is better for the applicants,
because they don't really have to repeat the application process for GSoC.

If there is no Outreachy participation at all, though, Debian has no
exposure to any of the applicants and none of them end up in the
pipeline for the next GSoC.

Regards,

Daniel