Re: Concern about racism and sexism in Supertuxkart 0.9

> Vincent Lejeune <vljn.ovi@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Le 3 mai 2015 01:36, "Ansgar Burchardt" <ansgar@debian.org> a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hi Vincent,
>>>
>>> your comparison with Mario Kart as a family-friendly game and just
>>> having looked a bit at the PEGI rating system[1] made me wonder:
>>>
>>>   [1] <http://www.pegi.info/en/index/id/33/>
>>>
>>> Most Super Mario and Mario Kart games seem to have a PEGI 3 and a few
>>> PEGI 7.
>>>
>>> The description for PEGI 12 includes games that "show nudity of a
>>> slightly more graphic nature" (though I have not yet found a description
>>> of what this means in more detail).
>>>
>>> So a game without Sara might be rated the same as Mario Kart,
>>> i.e. targeting users 3+ or 7+. But adding Sara might change the rating
>>> to PEGI 12 (maybe, I don't know the actual criteria), changing the
>>> target audience.
>>>
>>> Do you think the conflict might be caused by the developers not minding
>>> targeting only the 12+ group, but you (and others) prefering a game that
>>> is also suitable for the 3+/7+ group?
>>>
>>> If this is the case, maybe we could try to continue the discussion based
>>> on that and avoid the heavily loaded sexism bit? There might be options
>>> like a "12+ content" checkbox or such as a first idea along these lines.
>>>
>>> Ansgar
>>
>> It's a good idea actually. The PEGI rating system has a rating system
>> that is adopted by several countries with different sensibilities and
>> thus is a satisfying middle ground for me.
>> Thanks for bringing this idea.
>
> I don't think the PEGI rating helps at all here. The issue under
> discussion here (at least as I see it) is not that the game is not
> suitable for childern below a certain age but that it spreads a "sexist
> world view".
>
> Just because the players are older the sexism does not go away.
>
> Gaudenz

And looking at the vagueness of the criteria used for "partial nudity"
I think the thread will ends up on interpretation of PEGI criteria
rather than discussing the real issue here.
Not accounting that upskirting is likely not covered by the rating.

Regards,
Vincent.