Re: Debian participation into GNOME Outreach Program for Women

On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 09:45:46AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> I do not have trouble personally in spending the money on OPW but I
> would also see a similarly fair use of the GSoC org money to keep on
> sponsoring DebConf newbees and explicitly prefer women who apply for
> the support.

FWIW, this is no either/or situation. We can do both and in the past we
have never needed GSoC org money to support the DebConf newbies
initiative. The bottleneck to the viability of DebConf newbies have
historically been 1) someone taking care of the initiative (announcing
it ahead of time, reviewing applicants, etc.) and 2) coordination with
regular DebConf applications (ideally, "newbies" could just be a
category of regular applicants, that is somehow favored when doing
travel sponsoring decisions).  I should also point out that OPW does
reserve part of intern budget to allow them to attend project
conferences.

So, if people want to have DebConf newbies happen again, do not worry
about money, rather volunteer to help out the DebConf team to make it
happen from an organization POV!

Cheers.
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .