Re: Debian participation into GNOME Outreach Program for Women

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 07:52:18PM -0400, Brian Gupta wrote:
> OK from my reading of
> https://live.gnome.org/OutreachProgramForWomen#For_Organizations_and_Companies
> it seems that Debian can be a participating "project", without also
> being a financial sponsor. IE: We provide mentors and help select the
> best project submissions. I think this sounds like a great idea, and
> we should definitely pursue it. (Assuming my understanding is
> correct.)

I agree that at least in my perception Debian is way better in terms of
providing knowledge rather than in providing money.  So we should rather
provide in what we are good in (mentoring, programming skills) and not
what we are no experts in (dealing with money) to external projects.  I
do not have trouble personally in spending the money on OPW but I would
also see a similarly fair use of the GSoC org money to keep on
sponsoring DebConf newbees and explicitly prefer women who apply for the
support.  IMHO this fullfills the same intention to lower the entrance
barrier for women into the Free Software world.

In short: This is no veto against OPW support rather a slight reminder
whether we are just jumping enthusiastically on a train (which
admittedly goes in the right direction) before we have sorted out all
ways to spend this Debian money to support women inside Debian.

> Please let me know if I am misunderstanding how their program works.

Dito.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--