Re: Debian participation into GNOME Outreach Program for Women

On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 12:41:17PM +0200, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> I shared Monica's confusion when first reading this thread, I find the
> participation in the program was somehow rushed with zack's initial
> email leaving some things unclear.

I should indeed apologize for rushing things a bit; that was due to the
tight timeline. Basically, we're already late, as the OPW deadline for
mentoring organization has already passed (the deadline mentioned by
Lucas on -women is for students). I was trying to get the best out of a
very kind last-minute invitation we got from GNOME. Let's see if we can
make things work, otherwise we can easily postpone this to next OPW
round, as the program happens every 6 months.

> First of all, the program needs a separate coordinator and I'm happy to see
> Mònica volunteering for this. I will be happy to join her, but with her
> keeping the "main seat".

Thanks for volunteering to help Mònica.

> About the 2 main issues:
>
> *) overlap / relation with GSoC and kind of tasks

Nothing to comment on what you wrote here: it is indeed the best
possible course of action.

One thing to add, though, I've already got one "ping" from Marina
Zhurakhinskaya at GNOME (not sure why it's not on -women archive, as it
seems it has been sent there too), saying:

> Hi Debian folks,
>
> We are about ready to start spreading the word about the internships
> and it would be great to have Debian's landing page added to
> https://live.gnome.org/OutreachProgramForWomen/2013/JuneSeptember/#Participating_Organizations
> as soon as possible.
>
> It just needs to be a short page and
> https://live.gnome.org/OutreachProgramForWomen/Admin/GettingStarted
> describes what it should have.

I'd like to answer to that ping tomorrow. So if we want this to happen,
I need someone creating the appropriate landing page today or early
tomorrow the latest. If someone could do that, I'll be happy to go
forward with this; otherwise I'll apologize with the GNOME people and
call off our participation. It would be an occasion lost, yes; but not
such a big deal if it will result in us planning our participation for
next OPW round with some more advance.

>  *) Money
> Google pays 5500 USD per project, where 5000 USD goes to the student and 500
> USD to the mentoring organization.

I wouldn't mind directing those GSoC founds to OPW participation, if
they will end up being available (the "if" is subject to 2 conditions:
(1) Debian gets accepted in GSoC with enough projects, and (2) GSoC
admins are OK with asking mentors to direct the 500 USD per project to
the OPW earmark). Otherwise, I'll be happy to pre-approve covering up
what remains on general Debian funds.

Cheers.
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .