Re: Mentors

On Tuesday 06 November 2012 08:55:39 'lesleyb' wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 08:12:23PM +0100, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 04, 2012 at 04:35:44PM +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > > I have just recommended the mentoring scheme here to two people.  One a
> > > woman, the other, I think, a man.  (It is hard to be sure on the
> > > internet.)
> > >
> > > Sadly, the woman says that she had a look at the list, but doesn't like
> > > any differentiation shown, so doesn't like the name of the list.  She
> > > complains of having been discriminated against, but is discriminating
> > > herself.
> > >
> > > So although she wants to be a maintainer, and finds studying how to be
> > > one from manuals difficult, she is not going to ask for a mentor.
> > >
> > > So often, women are their own worst enemies. :-(
> >
> > Sounds like somebody who doesn't understand what debian-women is?
> >
> > A lot of people jump into quick conclusions like debian-women is:
> > - a debian subdistro only for women
> > - a only women allowed group
> > - a special entry point (and the only one) to allow women contribute in
> > debian - etc
> >
> > Sounds like the woman you talk about thought it was the 3rd point :?
>
> Hi Ana,
>
> If this is the person I've recently assigned then it's not her fault - I'll
> confess I wasn't paying attention to the mentoring scheme too much over the
> last few months and she has been waiting a while.

No - she was a fortunate spin-off, who saw my post and contacted me for more
info.  She said that it had been a while.  I passed on what you had given me,
Lesley and the rest you know.

No, I don't think that you will hear from the original recipient of my post.
I hope that I am wrong, of course, but I get the feeling that she has
convinced herself against the D-W mentoring scheme.

> It's worth bearing in mind the first syllable of Debian refers to a woman
> so a woman was involved in the beginning - whether she contributed as  her
> husband's life support system or more actively involved - I have no idea -
> but Deborah was involved.

I hadn't thought of that as an argument.  Shame on me!

Lisi