Re: resource availability and (naive) ideas

On Thursday, August 26, 2010 02:00:39 am Elizabeth Krumbach wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 8:58 PM, स्वक्ष <vid@svaksha.com> wrote:
> > The one difference that stands out (for me) is the packaging process
> > which is different in Ubuntu as compare to Debian. I cant say I've
> > fully understood the differences enough to comment in detail but ...
>
> The good thing about the packaging process is that while the process
> you go through to *get it into the archive* differs and revision
> control tools differ (bzr vs git and still some svn), actual creation
> of packages in Ubuntu and Debian is pretty much the same.

I've been hearing a lot of "packaging is hard" recently, and I remember the
New Maintainers' Guide being overwhelming when I was new to packaging and
Ubuntu's wiki being awful for it, so by the way... not useful to those already
DM/DD, but I wrote up a as-short-as-I-could howto for a basic dh7 package
(with notes for both Ubuntu & Debian re sections & version numbers) on my
blog.

Some people are saying it's still too complicated (I'm not sure how much
simpler than "copy and paste this control file skeleton, then fill in the
blanks, and here's some hints to what goes there, also copy and paste this 3-
line rules file" it can get), but some Ubuntu Devs thanked me for writing an
actually-readable version of what the wiki tries (and fails) to convey.  And
yeah, I'm going to fix up Ubuntu's wiki now that I know how (as opposed to when
I discovered it was awful and didn't know what to do about it).

Anyway.... linky: http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com/2010/08/is-
packaging-new-software-hard.htm

--
Mackenzie Morgan