Re: Let's put some energy back into Debian Women

I'm replying to myself because I didn't want my ideas to contaminate
other people's ideas when sending their suggestions :)

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 4:01 PM, Margarita Manterola
<margamanterola@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) Do you have ideas on activities that we should do in order to get
> more women into Debian?  If so, please suggest them here.

I think that we should re-start the mentoring program that we used to
have in place.  For that to happen we need to

1) Get a list of available mentors, and their areas of expertise
2) Have someone to coordinate mentors<->mentees
3) Every once in a while have a mentor host a training session online
(on #d-w) for something that their mentee needs to learn, but in a way
that other mentees can also benefit from it.  Announce these sessions
in advance, so that we can get some publicity for them.
4) If possible, encourage that some/most of the communication between
mentors and mentees is done either on list or on irc, so that other
people can also benefit and be encouraged by it.

To advertise the mentoring project, we need to:
* Have an info page about the project and link it from as many places
as possible/relevant
* Talk about it on blogs that are on planet, referencing said page.
* Announce it through debian-devel-announce / Debian weekly news /
news.d.n / etc

As for the number, I think we should aim for 20 female
DD/DM/maintainers by the end of next year.

--
Besos,
Marga