Re: shebuntu debian project

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 11:17:50AM +0200, Rayna wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to Debian-women, that's my first posting on the list ;o)
>
> I agree with plenty of the remarks made here (Eric's, Miriam's ones and so on).
> I'd like to addsome critics in a constructive fashion. I find a woman-focused
> distribution a bad idea... In other words, creating something focused on a
> stereotype of what woman is is so reducing and sexist. Putting pink or flowers
> or some 'girly' stuff is so, too. There's no A women's unique profile, there
> are as many profiles as there are women in the world. Creating a distribution
> orientated to a special human group is admitting that this group has special
> needs. That is a biased vision. I'm a woman, my background isn't in computer
> science. But I use Debian Sid and Ubuntu and ArchLinux (as well as I can...).
> No pink, no flowers, no poneys, no butterflies.
>
> If a woman isn't interested in informatics, it's partly because little girls
> read books on stupid princess saved by a very clever prince or dumb stuff from
> that kind. I'm not really sure that creating something special like shebuntu
> will change thet thing. I think that it would be far more interesting for all
> of us that some men stop considering us like helpless children or making
> complexes when, surprisingly for them, we know more...
>
> Have a nice day,
> Rayna
welcome :)
This thread was great. Someone had an idea, folks got to discusss the issues
with this new idea, and various folks got an (re)education on the recent
sexist/ism meme. If he came away with a little more info and enlightenment and
we did not scare him away in the process :), then the result will be a more
enlightened approach the next time he peruses his goal. Maybe someone can add a
pink-wallpaper package, make a new debian task for some assortment of programs
or links, etc. Maybe his wife can do it :) I would make a suggestion for him to
read about Amber Granger, as she is an ex-newbie, ubuntu user, a women, a wife
and someone who is enganging the Ubuntu community with vim, vigor and
enthusiasm. Read her blog at http://amber.redvoodoo.org/ If your wife can read
the early postings of Amber, maybe she can take the same fun-filled journey!
-K
--
|  .''`.  == Debian GNU/Linux == | http://kevix.myopenid.com      |
| : :' :     The Universal OS    | mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/ |