Re: shebuntu debian project

Il giorno mar, 29/09/2009 alle 13.43 +0200, =?utf-8?Q?
=C3=89ric=20Araujo =20 ha scritto:
> Hello everybody.
>
> I'll try to express some thoughts I had reading your email in the form
> of constructive criticism. When I used Ubuntu, I thought the practice of
> making another whole distribution for specific DEs really strange and
> unefficient (why duplicate branding, forums and co. just when one piece
> of the OS is different?); public-specific versions are a bit less strange
> to me. My point is that there exist other solutions (tasks, package list
> replication, custom install CDs...) that can be used without needing to
> change the name :) My viewpoint may come from the fact that Debian aims to
> be the universal operating system, whereas Ubuntu is built with a
> desktop-centric view.
>
> > My name is Ivan fro Italy and I'm Ubuntu user and I love this OS
> Out of curiosity: Have you given Debian a try too? I don't know how
> easy it is to make yet another *buntu distribution, perhaps this could
> be useful to you: http://blends.alioth.debian.org/
>
> > *SHEBUNTU* would be a new version based on Ubuntu dedicated to women
> > world.
> Is there only one women world? How do you define it? (more on that later)
>
> > In surveys carried out most of the women interviewed, want a simple and
> > already complete system with no further complications in the
> > installation of programs or other,
> Do those surveys distinguish between novice female users and savvy ones?
> Could you kindly provide us with links or other references? Why should
> a distro for novice female users be different from a novice male users?
>
> > <<My wife doesn't want use Ubuntu yet so I want create a new version
> > of Ubuntu for all female world, simple version based on Ubuntu for approach
> > all women at the Linux and Open Source world with installed all tools,
> > programs and utility for them, like horoscope, fertility calculation,
> > diary, meteo, links at the most famous female sites,pidgin plugins,
> > skype, with female themes.....and many other>>
> Excuse the harshness, but a women-tailored selection of package is one that
> encompases gullibility, reduction to a sexual role, non-free software and
> shiny backgrounds? It seems to me more harmful than useful.
>
> Now I'll wait for actual women opinions :)

Hello all,

I totally agree with Éric. I doubt that such a simple operating system,
with "women" programs and utilities, is a way to attract "women newbies"
to open source. IMHO it will remain a toy; why people (women or men) not
interested in what open source OS offers (customisation, ability to find
and squash bugs in the code, meet developers community, etc) but only in
eyecandies will prefer *buntu to the new shiny Vista, already shipped
with their new notebook?

Honestly, as a woman, I felt something like "upset" by Ivan's idea. It
reminded me the consideration of women in the nineteenth century -
fragile, childish. Ivan, I'm absolutely not saying that these are your
intentions. But there is enough sexual discrimination in computer world
to make me feel unconfortable with the idea of a women distro.

Really, I think that a gender-free newbie-oriented distro or Debian
flavour will be far better than a women-oriented one. but I think as
well that *buntu already covers the topic.

As a final thought, maybe my personal experience is not usual, but I
started my Linux adventure with Debian, honest and merciless, and I
thank it and the developers to have made me feel just a "newbie" and
later just a "programmer", without sexual distinction.

Ok, time to get back to my xorg issue.

Anne