Re: Thinking about organizing a special women-oriented event

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> That is not true and is offensive. I made no attempt to extrapolate
> to all men.

It may not have been intentional, but it certainly was implied. When
people are assigned to a class and judgements are made, those
judgements are extrapolated to members of that class, whether
consciously or subconsciously. [If there's no need to extrapolate,
then there's no need to mention the class.]

> Are you in fact feeling threatened? And is that why you alone have
> to attack so hard?

I certainly feel the threat of discrimination, and yes, it's why I try
to make sure that people are aware of cases when I feel they're
practicing it. It's certainly not meant as an attack, though.[1] [I
should also point out that this is also another example of ascribing
motivations based on a perception of gender.]

Don Armstrong

1: Everyone at some point discriminates based on classes; human beings
can't help but do it. I certainly would expect others to point it out
when I do it, and I try hard not to interpret it as an attack.
--
We were at a chinese restaurant.
He was yelling at the waitress because there was a typo in his fortune