Re: moving the wiki content?

2009/7/9 Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>:
> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 02:52:34PM +0100, Lesley Binks wrote:
>
>> I think I am happier if we have our own 'quarter' where we can make it
>> absolutely clear
>> certain topics stuff are not welcome, nor tolerated and at least have
>> the expectation that we won't need to waste our time
>> explaining alternative viewpoints
>
> What does the transition look like from this, to a world where such topics
> are not tolerated *anywhere* in the Debian community?
I agree that such a transition would not occur if women were simply to
dig in and
not collaborate witj the remainder of the community.  I suspect it is
also against
Debian policy to do so.  It doesn't prevent me from feeling like that at times.

> It's been many years since the Debian Women project was established with the
> goal of helping women integrate themselves into the project as Debian
> Developers.  I think it's been reasonably successful in this regard - at
> least, the rate of women expressing interest in DDship making it through the
> NM process appears to be very high.  If the list is no longer serving that
> purpose, and is instead becoming a ghetto for people using it as an
> *alternative* to participating in the broader Debian community, then
> independent of the website question I would suggest Debian-Women has
> outlived its usefulness as a distinct project and we might want to consider
> disbanding it.

I would certainly disagree with that.  I think people are still using
it as a platform toward making other contributions to other projects.
I don't think I would have made the small contributions I have made in
other areas without the confirmation from the DW project
that there are women out there interested in making a contribution and
that furthermore there are also men who are not opposed
to women making a contribution solely on the basis of their gender.

> Certainly the group has been coasting for a while, which isn't a problem by
> itself - but if it's now leading people to concede the main mailing lists to
> people who are behaving inappropriately, I think that's counterproductive.

Even though I am currently unemployed and awaiting an operation, there
is no way I could keep up with all
the Debian mailing lists.  I try to keep up with the low traffic on
this one but even so do miss topics here.
I try to keep up with the debian-perl and debian-devel lists but feel
I also miss topics there too.
Which would you consider to be the main Debian lists(s) to pay
attention to and why do you think behaviour on those lists is
inappropriate?

Regards

Lesley