Re: "Debian women may leave due to 'sexist' post"

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 11:47:45PM -0700, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2008-12-22, Peter Tuhársky penned:
> > Saying that, I'm glad there are women in Debian community, although I
> > don't fully understand their effort to maintain a special "Debian Women"
> > community. There is no "Debian Men" community I know of, and probably
> > noone find enough time or reasons worthy of the efforts to create it.
> > However, if the women feel better having such a community, that won't
> > hurt me anyhow.

> I think you answer your own (implied) question.  Men don't have such a
> community because they don't need it -- because they are a strong and
> vocal, visible majority in both software development and open source
> communities.  I don't think there are a whole lot of men who feel
> marginalized in the software development and open source communities
> just because they are male.

FWIW, your reply went only to debian-women, and the only reason he was
replying to this thread was because someone cleverly cross-posted to
debian-devel where he read it; so he'll not have seen your reply.

Not that I think he needs replying to, he's not a developer or a package
maintainer, just someone who periodically graces our mailing lists with his
opinions and is also a pig.

Solidarity!  I'm not a woman and I also invariably find his mails
off-putting.

Anyway, don't let my comments get in the way of using his mail as a catalyst
for productive discussion here on this list; though I would ask that you not
forward your message to debian-devel, because I'm afraid I don't think that
would wind up being very productive at all.

Cheers,