Re: Apropos of spam..

* l. m. wirthmann <dont.breathe.today@googlemail.com> [2008:10:10 15:26 +0200]:
> this discussion seems to be a nice opportunity to say hello and ask for
> help... so, well - hi.

Hello!

> i am willing and able to learn almost everything (as i also have a lot of
> free time..) but i don't know where to start and whom to speak with and in
> which ways i can contribute, so i'd love to be given any piece of advice.
> (yeah, i know, i could just read the websites to gather information, but i
> feel more comfortable speaking directly to people. especially women. it's
> stupid and a prejudice, but i'm still afraid of being laughed at [by men]
> for asking "dumb" questions and not knowing everything by myself.)

The list is actually a good place to ask questions, but if you have lots
of free time, the #debian-women IRC channel on irc.oftc.net is possibly
better, especially when you have lots of questions -- it's more active
than the mailing list and you can speak to other Debian women (such as
myself ;) ) real-time. It seems like a lot of our initially successful
recruitment happened that way -- people who hung out on the list got
involved, but the ones who hung out on IRC seem to be the ones who
turned into DDs... I'm not entirely sure why this is.