Re: Apropos of spam..

Hi Linda

Welcome to Debian!

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 03:26:42PM +0200, l. m. wirthmann wrote:
> this discussion seems to be a nice opportunity to say hello and ask for
> help... so, well - hi.
>
> i subscribed to the mailinglist because i was curious about the issues
> female developers might talk/ debate about and get myself a clearer
> impression of it all, but apparently it didn't work out.
>
> therefore it's probably the best tactic to just speak up and ask
> directly...
>
> i'm not much of a programmer. i recently started to translate some docs
> (into german) for kde (only because of a friend who does that and who
> helps me with all my stupid questions) and enjoy it so far, but would
> rather get involved with debian itself. yes, i also subscribed to the
> german translator list for debian, but i'm still far too shy to
> introduce myself there and ask for guidance.
>
> i am willing and able to learn almost everything (as i also have a lot
> of free time..) but i don't know where to start and whom to speak with
> and in which ways i can contribute, so i'd love to be given any piece of
> advice.  (yeah, i know, i could just read the websites to gather
> information, but i feel more comfortable speaking directly to people.
> especially women. it's stupid and a prejudice, but i'm still afraid of
> being laughed at [by men] for asking "dumb" questions and not knowing
> everything by myself.)

As we say in german: Es gibt keine dummen Fragen, nur dumme Antworten!
(There are no dumb questions only silly answers.)

But I can perfectly understand your feelings. The debian-women mailinglist
was among other reasons created to avoid this. I'm quite sure nobody will
laugh at your questions here.

> so it seems this list is not yet totally unnecessary,
> at least not for me.
>
> so if anyone has any idea, please let me know.

Some years ago when Debian Women started there was a mentoring project. I
myself was also active as a mentor for a short time. While there was no
shortage of people willing to act as mentors there were only few mentees.
But I think the project was a really great idea. Perhaps we could try again
and reactivate the project. What do others think about this?

I would be still interested to act as a mentor. Also for you linda, if you
are interested in this.

Greetings,

Gaudenz

--