Re: Debian BTS Cleanup HOWTO

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 07:53, Tina Isaksen wrote:
> Thanks! This interesting and really something I'd like to get involved
> with. It's really bugging me (pun intended) when I try to submit a
> bugreport and there are some 200-300 bugs listed. I have to admit that
> in those cases I just hope that someone has already submittet the bug,
> quit 'reportbug' and forget about it.

Yeah, I hear your pain :)

> I'm not a developer and I don't know the first thing about C,  but I'm
> fairly proficient when it comes to Debian (I think) and I just love
> learning new things. And I'd really like to get involved in Debian at
> some level. And bug triage seems both fun, educational and usefull.

Sometimes it can become quite repetitive, but then there are again and again
grateful users. I think it balances out ...

> So a couple of questions... do I need to do something, like register or
> apply for something, apart from what is mentioned here or is just diving
> in the way to go.

No, the Debian BTS is open for everyone with a working email address.

> Do I need a signed gpg key?

No.

> Does someone have som
> basic advice on how to get started or some usefull sites on the topic?

http://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control shows what commands are available to
manipulate bugs on the server, I should have added that to the HOWTO.

Just start with an application you are using daily. Most work is not technical
in any way. Remember: triage is not about fixing things, but about enabling
others to do the work.

I know the word triage from war-time surgery, where incoming wounded soldiers
where classified into three categories: those who won't survive the day, no
matter what, those who would survive the day no matter what and those who
needed immediate attention to save them.

Regards, David
--
As a general rule, if end users want to smash something repeatedly with a
sledgehammer, that's a sign of bad UI.