Re: Political climate of Debian

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 04:44 -0400, Erinn Clark wrote:

> * GFDL non-freeness
>   Another GR which I don't remember being around for, but basically the
>   GFDL isn't considered DFSG-free either to the chagrin or joy of some
>   people. Debian has a position statement[2].

This isn't quite true - it's just a consequence of the social contract
GR. If the GFDL is measured against the DFSG, then it's fairly
uncontroversially non-free. Various people would prefer us not to judge
documentation against the DFSG, though currently there

a) hasn't been a very good way of defining documentation (you get into
all sorts of trouble with things like literate code)
b) hasn't been a very good set of "Debian Free Documentation Guidelines"
written
c) hasn't been a very good justification for why documentation shouldn't
be treated in the same way as code, as far as freedom is concerned

The position statement is also a draft - we haven't adopted any sort of
official public position yet.
--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org