From: "tali@genderchangers.org" <tali@genderchangers.org>
Subject: [GCA] Eclectic Tech Carnival 2005 Invitation
To: gca teachers list <teachers@lists.genderchangers.org>,
	gca@lists.genderchangers.org, etc-announce@eclectictechcarnival.org,
	etc-parti@etc.genderchangers.org,
	etc-devel@eclectictechcarnival.org
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 08:32:37 +0200 (CEST)

We do apologize for cross posting.
             ***   /Eclectic Tech Carnival           ***
             ***   http://eclectictechcarnival.org   ***
             ***   July 11th - July 15th, 2005       ***
             ***   Graz, Austria                     ***
                                    ____________________________
   _____                          ,\\    ___________________    \
  |     `------------------------'  ||  (___________________)   `|
  |_____.------------------------._ ||  ____________________     |
                                  `//__(____________________)___/

Calling all women to participate in the 4th annual /Eclectic Tech Carnival (/etc for short) at the ESC Cultural Centre in Graz. A unique computer skill-share. A five day-night carnival of exchanging computer related skills for women by women.

Our theme this year is Networking both physically and technically; with Translocal Communication tools from open source chatting and blogging software to building secure local area networks for organising both locally and globally.

Program Topics for  this year:
1. Free & Open Source Software - the concept, plus examples for all operating systems.
2. Linux installation (ubuntu, debian) and Live CD distro Dynebolic.
3. Web Development - text editors, HTML, CSS and web-based content management systems.
4. Chat and Communication Software - IRC, jabber, Gnome Meeting, silc.
5. PC Hardware - building a computer; no one will take the screwdriver out of your hand in this workshop.
6. Networking and Security Issues.
7. Special Topics and Performances - Loom Weaving, Ethnoblogging, Streaming Sound and Video, using Puredata, Keyworx and Upstage for net collaborations. 8. Some local recreational excursion - we can't always be sitting at the computers.

Have you ever wanted to learn more about computers and how tech stuff works? Never dared to open your best friend's computer? Ever started repairing your bicycle but was stopped by a gentleman's helping hand? Always wanted to know more about Free and Open Source Software? Want to meet other women who love playing with bits and bytes, hardware and software?

Then the /etc is for you!

We only use Free and Open Source software. Software that you can use and improve because the code is not kept secret.

It will be okay to break things and to ask questions.
No one will tell you to RTFM (Read The F-ing Manual).
It will exhilarate and exhaust.
There will be communication barriers, but we intend to challenge them.

The /etc is organised by volunteers from Austria, Spain, Italy, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, USA, Serbia-Monte Negro, Slovenia, Germany, Brazil. Practically, English will be the default language of the event but please don't let this keep you from joining us! For courses we will try other languages.

The location is not yet prepared for wheel-chairs, but we are willing to give assistance. Child-care assistance will be provided.

Registration:
http://eclectictechcarnival.org/2005/regform.html

Accommodation:
Bring sleeping gear with you; meals will be arranged collectively at the time. We will do our best to accommodate your needs in terms of diet and childcare, but you must tell us in advance (on registration form). Please fill-out the registration form with as much detail as possible.

Fees:
There is a small conference fee. Donations towards further costs are, of course, always welcome!!

For information requests, email us at:
info@eclectictechcarnival.org

We hope to hear from you soon and to see you there.

The /etc development team.