Re: Political climate of Debian

Hello Christine,

* Christine Spang <spangarang@twcny.rr.com>, [2005-04-17 20:08 -0400]:
>  Another question that's been on my mind from time to time: how do
>  package maintainers deal with packages that have upstream authors, but
>  are sort of "customized" for debian in their packages? Do they have some
>  way of easily re-doing the changes that they've made when packaging new
>  upstream releases? (e.g. Firefox has a different icon, etc... I can't
>  seem to think of any good examples at the moment.)

Well, every change made from the original sources is available in the
Debian patches file (.diff.gz), included in the source package. [1]

A tremendously useful tool to keep Debian modifications separated from
upstream sources (and to easily add/remove them) is dpatch [2], or the
patch system available in CDBS [3].

ciao,
	ema

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch-pkgs.en.html#s-sourcelayout