Re: Political climate of Debian

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 04:44:59AM -0400, Erinn Clark wrote:
> [NB: If you've been around Debian for a while and/or have contributed to some
> of these decisions, please read the bottom of the mail before replying.]

> So, to the relative Debian newbies to the list, I'm curious what your
> opinon is about:

> * The impending Social Contract changes
>   If you're uninformed about these, a basic summary is that last year,
>   there was a GR (general resolution) which decided to change the SC.
>   These changes were considered editorial, but once they go into effect,
>   they will basically change the way Debian deals with non-free "stuff",

It's my understanding that we were well on our way to changing the way
Debian deals with non-free "stuff" for sarge+1 before this GR was ever
brought up for consideration: i.e., the release manager at the time agreed
that it made sense to hold documentation to the same standard, but did not
agree that it should be done via GR.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer