Re: Re: Article on women and mathematics

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 02:58:36AM -0700, Erich Schubert wrote:

> Oh, and Turing was gay, wasn't he? (yes, no statistical significance)
> I remember he killed himself because of being discriminated... one of
> the brightest mathematicians and computer scientists of all time.
> Actually I guess that many people believe - probably related to the
> 'less attractive' claim above - that mathematicians are more likely to
> be/become gay. Yes, what I wrote is bullshit. Probably as much bullshit
> as this hormones thing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing

has a section "Prosecution for homosexuality and Turing's death", which
is quite a sad and upsetting story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Byron

is something you probably forgot to mention about early programmers ;)

Ciao,

Enrico