Anyone going to FOSDEM 2005?

Hi!

I am wondering if anyone are going to FOSDEM (http://www.fosdem.org/)
next weekend?

I am a M.Sc. student of Informatics, starting on my dissertation in
January. I am going to write about why there are so few female open
source developers. According to the FLOSS surveys, and through my own
study of activity in developers mailing lists, there are only about
1.5-2% women, which is far from the 10-20-30% in the "industry" (it's
hard to find accurate numbers there, since "developer" isn't defined by
statisticians). I will also try to find out if and perhaps why gender
matters in open source development.

The case I will study for my dissertation will probably be Debian Linux
(because it has a rather clear definition of developers, and because
it's a big project).

At FOSDEM I have no plans about giving a talk or anything like that, but
it would be very nice to talk to some women at the conference about this
issue - why you are at the conference, why you became a developer, if
and when you considered youself a developer etc. I don't plan to make
any formal interviews or anything like that, I thought more along
"meet in a nice pub and have some beer and chat".

I am arriving on Friday morning, and plan to spend the day doing..very
little :) If some of you are there already on Friday, it would be nice
to meet. I only have one requirement: I don't want to eat nor drink
too close to Grand Place :-P (This goes for any meal and most beer.)

(I am hanging on #debian-women, too, even though I am not active much of
the time. Feel free to leave a message for me if I don't look awake or
present.)

Magni aka Naima :)
--
http://magni.onsoien.no/