Re: Anybody out there?

  Hi,

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 02:32:28 -0500
Erinn Clark <erinn@double-helix.org> wrote:

> So we have a fairly thriving community, in some respects -- our IRC channel
> is very active, we have a few interesting projects going on. In general, I
> think things are going fairly well.
>
> ...but I'm concerned. There's very little list discussion and I haven't
> seen a lot of new faces showing up (though they do trickle in).

  Maybe people likes more the online discussion than the mailing list ^^

> Is there something we should be doing to encourage more discussion? Does
> anyone have any ideas?

  Well, the media are there, and people can't be forced to discuss if they
don't want, that's one of the principles of Debian as a voluntary effort and
one of its weakness. If you solve it for d-w you'll probably solve it for the
whole Debian, which would be great.

  D-w has revealed lately as an irc-oriented community, so maybe an idea is
encourage people to post to the list the things that flow on irc, not
necesarily in an ordered manner. A kind of minutes, but in a wider sense, and
not only by one person, just anybody who sees an idea and thinks it deserves
to be discussed in depth within the list.

  regards,
--
  Ricardo Mones Lastra - mones@aic.uniovi.es
  Centro de Inteligencia Artificial, Universidad de Oviedo en Gijon