Re: Hello, world!

Hi Sacha  :)

Helen Faulkner's message reminded me that although I had been lurking
on debian-women through gmane for a while now, I hadn't actually
gotten around to posting. <laugh> I guess it's a good time to
introduce myself.

Congratulations for un-lurking! I find it really interesting to learn about the different kinds of people are out there on this list.

[...]

I finally got around to having my key signed at the recent Kansai Open
Source 2004 conference in Japan, and have just started on the new
maintainer process. =)

Yay :) Does everyone realise that there are now at least 8 women on the New Maintainer waiting list (ie people who are applying to become Debian Developers). This is a record, we believe, for the number of women interested in becoming involved in Debian in that way. Seeing as there are only 3 female DDs in Debian at the moment, 8 new people is a significant step forward, in my opinion. I'm sure that the Debian-Women project has something to do with all this (at least in my case it certainly does).

(That conference was a bit of an experience. I
was sometimes the only girl in the room during the talks and BOFs I
attended, and sometimes the only foreigner. <laugh> That said,
everyone was Really Nice, and I had a lot of fun chatting with the
other Debian people over dinner that evening.)

That could have been quite tough - I'm glad it was a good experience.

I would be interested in hearing more about people's experiences at linux conferences in general. Having never been to one, I wonder what they are like, especially if you are, as Sacha was, the only woman in the room. Does anyone else have stories to tell?

Helen.