Re: Is "debian-women" crashed ?

on Sun, 18 Jul 2004 01:36:26PM -0400, David Nusinow insinuated:
> On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 07:15:37PM +0200, Hamster wrote:
> > > Part of the reason I poked fun at the issue is that the whole
> > > debian-women effort seems to be a good way to get people
> > > interested in Debian without having to slog through the tiresome
> > > political vitriol that recent GR's have created. Erinn has
> > > created a great opportunity here, and I hope people take
> > > advantage of it.
> >
> > I find this a very interesting paragraph, and I'd love to hear
> > Helix's reaction too. Perhaps I'm reading too much into what
> > you've written here, but I've interpreted (perhaps incorrectly)
> > this paragraph to mean that you see d-w as a "refugee" list for
> > people tired of other lists.
>
> Eh... perhaps that came across too strongly. I don't think the list
> should deviate from its primary charter of helping women learn about
> and get involved with Debian. What I meant above is an extension of
> that, in that women can do this without diving in to the relatively
> hostile environment of other Debian lists. Because the purpose of
> the project is to nurture women within the project, women should
> feel free to ask questions here that would get them flamed or
> RTFM'ed on other Debian lists. I don't think people should flee to

a (perhaps inconsequential) nit to pick: while i'm all for supportive,
non-flaming lists, do you think there's either something inherent in a
women's list that will foster this environment (underlying assumption:
women are less aggressive than men), and/or that this place should
EXPLICITLY be a friendly environment?  i feel like all lists ought to
be friendly, but it turns out that flame wars do come up and people do
get told to RTFM if they clearly haven't, and that while some of that
is okay, a lot more than that gets tolerated on those lists.  should
the mission statement of this list, then, include a bit about the
desired environment or vibe, and if and how that'll be enforced?

i'd like to hear opinions on this.

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++     Sponsor me as I run my SECOND marathon for AIDS:       ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++