Re: linux migration

On Monday 15 July 2002 16:05, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 02:26:19PM +0800, jonas.weismuller@fmc-asia.com
wrote:
> > Our company is considering to migrate some Desktop PC??s to Linux. To
> > rephrase: I have to prove how far the development of Linux is feasible in
> > our company!
> >
> > I have a checklist about the programs which are used in our company. Most
> > of the vendors of these programs don??t support Linux solutions/Clients
> > (hopefully it will change as soon as possible). Therefore I am looking
> > for alternatives by taking into account the compatibility to our existing
> > programs, because we will not migrate all PC??s.
> >
> > I hope you can fill in my list. If this is no subject for this mailing
> > list, please let me know or maybe you just prefer it to send it to my
> > private email address, it would be nice! If you have already experienced
> > alternative products playing/working with the common windows based
> > products, please write down a mark between 1-6 (??1 ?C very well?? to ??6
> > - very bad??) in brackets behind the certain program and if u don??t mind
> > with a short explanation of pros and cons, just insert with a comma and
> > use a ??P:?? for pros and a ??C:?? for cons!
> > For example: Alternative: openoffice(3,P:faster, more stable, C:" not
> > compatible to Microsoft excel 2000 sheets), staroffice (2)
> >

> > Following the list of the programs my company used:
> > MS Office 97/2002
> > ------------------
> > Linux version: No
> > Alternatives: openoffice(), star office()
> > Comments:
>
> koffice, corel WP for linux.
>
> > MS Netmeeting
> > ---------------
> > Linux version: No
> > Alternatives:
> > Comments:
>
> Any other h.323 software?  Should be some out there.
>
> > Power Archiver (Free compression tool)
> > -------------------------------------
> > Linux version: No
> > Alternatives:
> > Comments:
>
> gzip, bzip2, tar, zip/unzip, lha, etc.
>
> > Irfan View
> > ----------
> > Linux version: No
> > Alternatives:
> > Comments:
>
> No idea what that is.
>
> > Adobe Photoshop, Corel Draw
> > ----------------------------
> > Linux version: No/yes (PhotoPaint)
> > Alternatives: Gimp(), PhotoPaint()
> > Comments:
>
> I can't think of any others, except maybe xfig for some small items.
>
> > Lotus Notes Domino 5
> > ---------------------
> > Linux version: No
> > Alternatives:
> > Comments:
>
> IBM very much supports Domino on Linux.  Check www.lotus.com.  Or just
> do a google search for "linux lotus domino"
Not quite.  IBM support Domino on Linux (the server) but not Notes (the
client).  Fortunately Notes (the Windows version) will run on Linux under
WINE, but test that what you use works enough for you (there are a few
funnies).

The good news is that there is a rumour of a Java client coming from
Lotus with R6 which is due later this year.  But it is only a rumour.