Re: Debian GNU/Win32

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 09:52:55AM -0600, Kent Tenney wrote:
> I think this project is the most powerful Linux advocacy tool I've
> heard of.
>
> The people I know use windows, their computer use doesn't involve
> ideals, just trying to accomplish a few tasks.
>
> It would make no sense to expect them to switch to Linux.
>
> I would like to install cygwin and introduce them to the wonders
> of Debian, apt, and the free software community.
>
> I think a lot of people are hearing about Linux and would like
> to check it out. That's what's interesting to me, not preaching
> to the choir.
>
> Those who currently use Linux are technologically wealthy and
> can take care of themselves, it's the disadvantaged who need
> our help. They are the vast majority.

A small pitfall here: once we have all the tools available under cygwin,
then we'll have a hard job convincing them that they're aren't running
Linux (but under a m$soft license). Being the ignorant masses, they'll
have trouble seeing the difference between Linux and cygwin under
Windows...

> Claims that Linux, free software, open source ... must be 'pure'
> just line Bill Gates' pockets as far as I can see.
>
> I hope this project gains some momentum.

So do I. I just wish I had time to contribute.

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com