Re: Please give back golang-1.8 (1.8.3-1) on s390x

On 2017-06-24 11:15, Anthony Fok wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There seems to be a hiccup when golang-1.8 (1.8.3-1) was last built
> for s390x on zemlinsky.
>
> Seeing the logs at
>
>     https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=golang-1.8&arch=s390x
>
> It seems that zemlinsky fails consistently "Illegal Instruction" early
> in the build,
> while both zandonai and zani consistently succeed.
>
>     gb golang-1.8_1.8.3-1 . s390x

Done.

> Perhaps it is too much to ask, but would it be possible to set some
> kind of automatic give-back whenever golang-1.8 (or future golang-1.9)
> fails on zemlinsky?

Automatic give back no, but we can blacklist the package on this build
daemon. This is only a workaround for the problem below.

> Or, better yet, is there a way to find out what went wrong on
> zemlinsky?  Is it an older machine with an older CPU that does not
> support some newer CPU instructions?  (Sorry, I know nothing about
> s390x and I am likely completely wrong.)

That is actually the problem. On s390x golang requires a higher ISA than
the one Debian targets. I have started to patch golang-1.7 to avoid these
new instructions a few months ago, but upstream is not interested by
supporting older CPUs and keep adding more usage of new instructions.

Aurelien