Re: backport of dpkg (>= 1.17.2) and apt (>= 0.9.16.1) for build profiles

[+ debian-admin, debian-wb-team ]

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 07:15:03AM +0200, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> Because of this syntax change, packages that use this syntax can only be
> uploaded once tools in Debian stable support it because the build
> infrastructure runs Debian stable. One option would be to wait until the jessie
> release but we fear that if we go that route we might discover too late that we
> missed to patch one important tool and in the worst case have to wait for yet
> another release until packages with build profiles can be uploaded.
>
> Therefore we would like to test whether the Debian build infrastructure can
> handle uploads of source packages using build profiles as early as possible. It
> seems that the two options for making this happen is to either backport the
> current versions of dpkg, apt and python-apt or to make a stable update:
>
> 12:33 < Ganneff> ftpmaster takes what dsa runs. dsa takes backports.
> 12:35 < adsb> I'd suspect they'd prefer a stable update for that sort of thing. but icb(e)w
> 12:35 < ansgar> And support in w-b, apt (in stable), ... if there are incompatible changes to Build-Depends.
>
> I'm writing to this list because a backport is probably more easy than plugging
> the build-profile commit on top of the current stable versions of dpkg and apt?
>
> What do you think? Would you support releasing a build profile enabled version
> of dpkg and apt and python-apt into backports so that dak and wanna-build can
> support build profiles before jessie happens?

I'm rather underwhelmed by the idea of having them running a backported
dpkg and apt. It's also a disservice to our developers running stable
who regularly need to recompile newer packages to first upgrade their
dpkg and apt to be able to deal with newer source packages.

I'm not aware of all the details of this, but it's prudent to have
everything in stable. If something still needs some minor patching in
the next stable, that can be arranged.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern