Re: On community and conflicts

On Thu, 2023-03-16 at 07:53 -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> > I'm afraid that you miss the point.  I specifically chose flat
> > earth,
> > & co., as a contrast.  My position is that we are all adults,
> > capable
> > of deciding for ourselves and that, absent some behavior that is a
> > clear violation of the Code of Conduct and/or mailing list rules
> > (e.g., harassment), simply uttering something that some people do
> > not
> > like does not form cause for removing someone, or even for issuing
> > any sort of warning.  Else, why bother having a Code of Conduct and
> > mailing list rules?

Using project resources to disseminate conspiracy theories (like Bill
Gates having evil vaccination plans or whatever), using symbolism like
triple parentheses, ... is directly harmful to the project. People,
including non-members, read that and get a certain impression of the
project.

I'm personally not happy with being involved in a project which would
tolerate this, but some are content with such content and run projects
that way (you can, for example, get involved in Debian-based
distributions that are much more "inclusive" there). So people who
think not allowing antivaxx and other conspiracy theories or racism or
whatever on project channels is thought policing have alternatives.

Ansgar