Re: On community and conflicts

On Wednesday, March 15, 2023 12:10:01 PM MST Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

> BTW, I think that in this particular instance it did "directly impact

> the operation of Debian itself" because pandemic-related restrictions

> (e.g., vaccines, travel distruptions, etc.) became something that

> impacted Debian events and operations.

I do see your point, but my personal feeling is that isn’t a strong enough nexus for it to be something that is discussed in Debian itself.  Debian is going to be full of many people from many countries under many different governments with many different laws and feelings about those laws.   If we allowed debate of any topic that affected Debian at the level of vaccines or travel disruptions it would completely disrupt the work that Debian is trying to accomplish.

The key to this subject is how significant the nexus is between the subject and Debian’s work.  In my opinion, it must be much stronger than in the case of any controversial discussion of COVID (again, irrespective of my personal beliefs about the factual content of that discussion).  In my previous email I used the example of discussion of copyright or patent laws, which can become controversial in some quarters, being something where the nexus is strong enough that it is appropriate to discuss them in Debian.  Unless it rises to  that level, I don’t believe this is the right place for it to happen.

Soren

--

Soren Stoutner

soren@stoutner.com