Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

On Sun, Sep 04, 2022 at 03:43:36AM +0700, Judit Foglszinger wrote:
> > I hereby propose the following alternative text to Steve's original proposal.
> >
> > =================================
> >
> > The Debian project is permitted to make distribution media (installer images
> > and live images) containing packages from the non-free section of the Debian
> > archive available for download alongside with the free media in a way that the
> > user is informed before downloading which media are the free ones.

> Wondering if this should be s/non-free section/non-free-firmware section/

Thanks for asking. The short answer is no. I kept my proposal very short,
keeping the focus on the smallest possible action we can do for helping those
users that need non-free firmware: allowing ourselves to advertise non-free
installers just as visible as our free installer. Moving non-free firmware to a
separate section might be useful, but it is in my view not part of that
smallest possible action. So what's my position on such new section? Well, what
is not mentioned is not proposed and not opposed. That's all. - B.