Re: Privacy guarantees

On 9/10/21 4:43 PM, Felix Lechner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A fellow developer and I have reached an impasse over the appropriate
> level of privacy guarantees in Debian. [1] Would this esteemed group
> please advise if the topic is in some form suitable for a General
> Resolution?
>
> The aggrieved party is likely to appeal my forthcoming lack of action
> to the Technical Committee. [2] While the Technical Committee is more
> or less Debian's Supreme Court, it seems unfair to burden that select
> group of ours with matters of broad social significance. The Policy
> Team was similarly reluctant. They have not acted on the matter in
> nearly eight years. [3]
>
> The maintainer of a well-known web browser took a stance in the
> middle. [4] My own position was outlined here. [5]
>
> In the spirit of seeking common ground, I would like to offer to the
> aggrieved party that we co-sponsor a General Resolution together. Is
> that appropriate? Thank you!
>
> Kind regards
> Felix Lechner

Hi,

I've skimmed through the first bug report that you've linked to, and
failed to understand. Is this about privacy breaches in docs, for
example, when linking to a remote image and such in a local doc? If so,
I don't see the problem of removing them... These are very annoying, and
it doesn't take much effort from the maintainer perspective. I am very
happy that Lintian considers this as a big problem that needs to be
fixed, as I would hate myself to browse a local doc and having my web
browser access remote content when I don't expect it.

I don't think a GR is appropriate here, at least not before discussing
this with other DDs (maybe in debian-devel) for long enough. I also
believe that this isn't a topic that deserves so much of our DD time.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)