Re: General Resolution: Statement regarding Richard Stallman's readmission to the FSF board result

On 2021-04-18 23:18, Barak A. Pearlmutter wrote:
If we look at the actual ballots, it's really interesting. Options 7
and 8 were semantically pretty much equivalent. It's hard to see any
reason for someone to rank them very differently.

Just because two votes are semantically equivalent it doesn't mean
that people rate them equally. Our voting system luckily allows
similar options, so you can decide based on wordings and maybe even
the feeling you have when you read the text.

Imagine we'd have a GR over the pantone colours of the Debian logo.

- PANTONE Rubine Red 2X CVC
- PANTONE Strong Red C
- PANTONE Rubine Red C
- PANTONE 199 C

(from https://wiki.debian.org/DebianLogo)

Basically all options are red, actually very similar red colours.
If you see one colour alone, you'd be completely happy with it.
If you are actually able to compare them, you might notice that
one is a bit more pink and you hate pink and the other one doesn't
fit to the stickers on you laptop.
So it makes a lot of sense to be able to decide on such minor
differences. You might even hate pink so much, that you'd rate
that option below FD.

I've done the same in GRs in the past: ranked basically equal
options completely different due to their wordings.

Its a good thing that you can do that in Debian, and imho it makes
a lot of sense to allow to choose on such minor differences.

The voting system works as designed, even if some people don't
understand the outcome or are not happy with it.